Willow Canyon Elementary opened in 1974 and is located in a suburban community in Sandy City. The area is comprised primarily of middle class, single family homes. The goal of Willow Canyon Elementary is to offer a quality education to help students develop to their full potential. A solid program in the basic skills of reading, writing, math, science is provided by an excellent, experienced, well-trained faculty.• Willow Canyon Elementary serves approximately 300 students in grades kindergarten through fifth. This also includes five Intellectually Disabled Cluster Units for students with intellectual disabilities and orthopedic impairments.
- The school day begins at 8:20 a.m. and ends at 2:55 p.m., except on Fridays when school is dismissed at 1:15 p.m. to allow teachers time for planning and collaboration.
- Willow Canyon has 14 teachers in grades K-5, as well as ESL endorsed teachers, Extended Core teachers, Resource teachers, Speech and Language Pathologists, and a full time Psychologist. We also have an Achievement Coach who supervises reading assistants, provides essential data for teachers, and provides coaching and mentoring as needed.
- The teacher/pupil ratio averages 1 to 25 in all the grades. The actual class sizes vary.
- The curriculum follows state and District guidelines and meets or exceeds all elementary requirements.
- Willow Canyon students have consistently scored well above average on district, state and national tests.
- A state of the art computer lab with individual computer stations is available for all grades. In addition, Willow Canyon has two mobile laptop labs, three Alpha Smart writing labs, and one of the first iPod Touch mobile labs in the state.
- Students have access to a variety of enrichment programs including, District sponsored Gifted and Talented Programs such as Monster Math and Talented Young Authors, Battle of the Books, Science Fair, School Choir, and Orchestra as well as after school programs offered through the District.
- Willow Canyon has an active PTA, and School Community Council that support the school with volunteer hours.
- Willow Canyon Elementary is striving to meet the needs of accelerated students. Problem solving and higher level thinking skills are introduced in every classroom, and teachers modify instruction as needed to meet the needs of each student.
To find out more about how Willow Canyon compares to state and District levels please follow this link to the Canyons School District web page